Previously, students used gridded rectangles to represent strategies based on the distributive and associative properties. Here, they use the same strategies, but represent them on an area diagram without a grid. Then, students match expressions that could represent the area of the same rectangle, without using diagrams. The reasoning helps students work toward fluent multiplication within 100.
- Apply associative and distributive properties of multiplication to find products within 100.
- Recognize that multiplication is associative and can be distributed over addition.
- Usemos diferentes estrategias para encontrar el área de rectángulos sin cuadrícula.
Materials to Copy
- Centimeter Grid Paper - Standard
- Card Sort: Different Expressions, Same Rectangle
- Create a set of cards from the blackline master for each group of 2 or 4.
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Rectangle Rumble (3–5), Stage 3: Factors 1–10 (Addressing)
- Capture Squares (1–3), Stage 7: Multiply with 6–9 (Addressing)
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements||docx|
|Lesson Cover Page||docx|
|Cool Down||Log In|
|Teacher Guide||Log In|
|Teacher Presentation Materials||docx|