Previously, students have used strategies based on place value and properties of operations to find products of a whole-number and a teen number. Here, students extend this work to larger two-digit numbers. Students first analyze different strategies and then apply one or more of them to find the value of other products. The lesson also includes an optional game students can play to apply what they’ve learned to multiply larger numbers.
- Multiply within 100, where one factor is greater than 20.
- Use properties based on place value and properties of operations to multiply.
- Multipliquemos números que son más grandes que 20.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- Number Cards (0-10)
- Centimeter Grid Paper - Standard
- Create a set of cards from the blackline master for each group of 2.
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Activity 3||10 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Compare (1–5), Stage 3: Multiply within 100 (Addressing)
- How Close? (1–5), Stage 5: Multiply to 100 (Addressing)
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements||docx|
|Lesson Cover Page||docx|
|Cool Down||Log In|
|Teacher Guide||Log In|
|Teacher Presentation Materials||docx|