Previously, students use base-ten blocks, diagrams, and other representations or strategies to reason about division within 100. In this lesson, they extend and formalize this work to include writing a series of equations to find the value of a quotient.
In analyzing various strategies to represent division, students reinforce their understanding of place value, properties of operations, and the relationship of multiplication and division.
- Analyze strategies for representing and reasoning about division.
- Divide within 100 using strategies based on place value and properties of operations.
- Usemos diferentes estrategias para dividir.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- Centimeter Grid Paper - Standard
- Compare Stage 4 Division Cards
- Create a set of cards from the blackline master for each group of 2. Remove the cards with two-digit divisors.
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Activity 3||10 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Compare (1–5), Stage 4: Divide within 100 (Addressing)
- How Close? (1–5), Stage 5: Multiply to 100 (Addressing)
- Can You Draw It? (1–5), Stage 2: Grade 2 Shapes (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements||docx|
|Lesson Cover Page||docx|
|Cool Down||Log In|
|Teacher Guide||Log In|
|Teacher Presentation Materials||docx|