In a previous lesson, students answered “are there enough” questions, which encouraged them to carefully match one object to one person. In this lesson, students continue to develop one-to-one correspondence as they work together to get enough pencils for each student. As students notice that when you get enough of an object for each student to have one, the number of students and the number of objects are the same, they look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning (MP8).
In the lesson synthesis, students practice saying the verbal count sequence to 10 in preparation for counting objects in an upcoming section. Add variety to the counting by adding movement. For example, students can count as they clap, stomp their feet, or jump.
- Make groups with enough objects for each person in the group to get one.
- Consigamos suficientes lápices para todos.
Materials to Gather
- Each group of 4 needs at least 8 pencils.
- Gather materials from:
- Connecting Cubes, Stages 1 and 2
- Pattern Blocks, Stages 1 and 2
- Geoblocks, Stages 1 and 2
- Picture Books, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||25 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|