In previous lessons, students created drawings to represent story problems and connected drawings and expressions to story problems. In this lesson, students match expressions to drawings and create drawings and expressions. This lesson is moving students toward a more abstract understanding of expressions (MP2). In previous lessons, students had the context of a story problem and a clear action to help them relate to the expressions. In this lesson, students use their understanding of the plus and minus signs to determine whether to add or subtract.
- Action and Expression
- Interpret expressions in relation to drawings.
- Emparejemos expresiones con dibujos.
- Each group of 2 needs 10 two-color counters.
- Each group of 2 needs access to a yellow crayon and a red crayon.
- Gather materials from:
- Number Race, Stage 1
- Math Stories, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||25 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|