Compare and Order Decimals and Fractions
The purpose of this lesson is for students to compare and order fractions and decimals to the hundredths.
In a previous unit, students compared and ordered fractions. Earlier in this unit, they did the same with decimals. In this lesson, students compare and order tenths and hundredths in both fraction and decimal notations.
- Action and Expression
- Compare and order fractions and decimals to the hundredths by reasoning about their size.
- Let’s put fractions and decimals in order.
Materials to Copy
- Order Once, Order Twice
- Create a set of cards from the blackline master for each group of 2–4.
|Activity 1||25 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
In upcoming lessons, students will continue thinking about place value, but will work toward much larger whole numbers. What do you know about students’ current understanding of place value that would be important to keep in mind moving forward?
- Rolling for Fractions (3–5), Stage 1: Equivalent Fractions (Supporting)
- Get Your Numbers in Order (1–5), Stage 4: Denominators 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, or 100 (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements||docx|
|Lesson Cover Page||docx|
|Cool Down||Log In|
|Teacher Guide||Log In|
|Teacher Presentation Materials||docx|