The purpose of this lesson is for students to put together shapes in multiple ways to form larger shapes.
In previous lessons, students filled in puzzles using pattern blocks. In this lesson, students notice that there are multiple ways to put together pattern blocks to make a shape as they fill in more complex puzzles. They begin by filling up a pattern block puzzle that doesn’t show the individual shapes, which requires changing the orientation of shapes. Then they create the same shapes using different pattern blocks. Students should have access to pattern blocks throughout the lesson, including during the lesson synthesis.
- Put shapes together in multiple ways to form larger shapes.
- Let’s figure out how many different ways we can make a shape.
- Gather materials from:
- Geoblocks, Stages 1 and 2
- Build Shapes, Stages 1 and 2
- Pattern Blocks, Stages 1-5
- Less, Same, More, Stages 1-4
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
What do you love most about math? How are you sharing that joy with your students and encouraging them to think about what they love about math?