In previous lessons, students learned that two fractions are equivalent if they are the same size. In this lesson, students work with situations that involve lengths to build their understanding that fractions at the same location on a number line are equivalent. Number lines are provided to ensure that if students choose to use two number lines to demonstrate equivalence, they work with the same length interval for 1 unit.
Activity 2: Ubiquemos y emparejemos
- Identify and generate equivalent fractions.
- Understand two fractions as equivalent if they are at the same point on a number line.
- Encontremos fracciones que están en la misma ubicación.
Materials to Gather
- Each group of 2 needs 6 number cubes.
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Number Line Scoot (2–3), Stage 3: Halves, Thirds, Fourths, Sixths and Eighths (Addressing)
- Secret Fraction (3), Stage 1: Building Non-Unit Fractions (Addressing)