The purpose of this lesson is for students to put together shapes to form larger shapes.
In a previous unit, students explored pattern blocks and filled in simple puzzles. In the previous section, students explored the attributes of and built individual flat shapes like rectangles and triangles. In this lesson, students explore putting together pattern blocks with sides touching to form larger shapes.
- Put shapes together to form larger shapes.
- Let’s put together pattern blocks.
- Gather materials from:
- Geoblocks, Stages 1 and 2
- Build Shapes, Stages 1 and 2
- Pattern Blocks, Stages 1-4
- Less, Same, More, Stages 1-4
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||25 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Revisit the norms you established as a class about doing mathematics. Which norms are working and which might need revision? Are there any norms you or your students might want to add?