The purpose of this lesson is for students to compare methods for subtracting a one-digit number from a two-digit number with and without decomposing a ten.
- Describe how methods of subtraction are the same and different when subtracting a one-digit number from a two-digit number.
- Let’s compare subtraction methods.
- Remove 0 and 10 from each set of cards (or prompt students to remove them) before the activity.
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Capture Squares (1–3), Stage 3: Add within 20 (Addressing)
- Five in a Row: Addition and Subtraction (1–2), Stage 6: Add within 100 with Composing (Addressing)
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements||docx|
|Lesson Cover Page||docx|
|Cool Down||Log In|
|Teacher Guide||Log In|
|Teacher Presentation Materials||docx|